Friday, September 16, 2022


In August, my painting "Winter Morning on Boliver" (see below), won an Award of Merit at the Outdoor Painters Society's Associate Show. This was such a wonderful surprise, because the quality of the paintings entered was superb! Painted on a chilly March sunrise, you can see the Boliver Lighthouse in the far distance.

The show was hosted by the Cultural Activities Center of Temple, TX in a beautiful gallery. This huge, gorgeous facility is run by very nice folks. You should visit if you are ever in Temple.

Along with my OPS co-director,  late summer I began to organize the paint outs for 2023. It is exciting to to look at the roster of locations which the Outdoor Painters Society has had in the past (and even some new ones!), and to consider where we would like to paint. We then researched local members, art groups, restaurants, hotels, great painting locations, and set up an itinerary for everyone to follow. This is a wonderful service that OPS offers its members.

I then turned my attention to prepare for my first fall paint out/show/competition -- beautiful Kerrville, TX. I have attended this event on and off for years, and every year the incredible scenery does not disappoint!  For the past two years, the Kerrville Arts & Cultural Center invited OPS to hold a member paint out, complete with a show and awards. Can't wait to see old friends, meet new ones, and paint my heart out for a few days! A friend was kind enough to offer her place for me to stay during the event.

And throughout all of this, in July I began a zoom class with an artist I very much admire, Camille Przwodik. Her technique of using color is right up my alley. I can't recommend it enough. Three still life/plein air studies a week, practicing her technique keeps me busy!

Finally, this week my life has been filled with getting my 90 year old darling mother-in-law (pictured right) off to California to visit her daughter and family. We will miss her, but our dogs will be especially be forlorn.

After Kerrville, I take a trek to North Carolina to see dear friends and paint the beautiful mountains. Then OPS goes to New Iberia in October for a paint out and sale. Big Bend calls in November, where Stephen and our dogs will join our OPS paint out in this spectacular west Texas National Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wandering the Backroads of California and Beyond! This has been an epic year for our family! We sold our home in Houston, travelled across t...